Designed by Brisbane architects Hall and Dods in American colonial style, City Hall was erected in 1908 to replace the original timber Town Hall which stood on the opposite side of Kent Street.
Local benefactor George Ambrose White donated £10,000 to build the new hall. The exterior was built with locally made Meredith bricks and red cedar was used extensively throughout the interior. In 1935 the clock tower, curtain tower and stage were added.
The auditorium features a semi-circular barrel-vault ceiling. Elaborate classical detail adorns the stage, columns and the proscenium and features Maryborough's city emblem - the Crimson Bottlebrush. The Hall was restored and refurbished in early 1990, after the building and many of its records were damaged in an arson attack.
In front of City Hall is a replica small cannon, the original, found on Marbiak Island in the Torres Strait was presented to the town as a Christmas gift in 1877. Cast in 1750 for the Dutch East India Company, it is now located in the Bond Store Port of Maryborough Museum in Wharf Street.
Continue to the right hand side of City Hall. You will pass the giant draught board and the….